Saturday 6 December 2014

OMG Nail Strips - Peacock

I was contacted recently by OMG Nail Strips and asked if I'd like to try some of their nail wraps. The designs are gorgeous, so I jumped at the chance.  I chose this beautiful peacock feather design, and a cute skull and crossbones one. 


The instructions are pretty clear - start with clean nails, match up the right strip size to each nail (trim if necessary), peel off the backing card, and gently smooth on to nail starting at the cuticle, then file off free edge, and add topcoat.


I started by separating the 14 different sized tabs - this made it much easier to match up the right sizes for my nails. The widest one was quite a bit wider than my thumb, and the narrowest one was just right for my little finger. I had to trim a couple of them to make them slightly narrower, because I do have quite narrow nails I think, but most of them fitted just fine. 


I smoothed them on easily enough - I used a plastic hoof stick with a rubber wedge on the end. I then filed off the excess with a coarse grit emery board, and then neatened it up with a glass nail fine. 


The result looked really cool! Please excuse my dry skin - I wanted to grab some photos before I moisturised or topcoated, just in case. I found these really easy to apply on my left hand (using my dominant hand) but a little trickier on my right hand (using my non-dominant hand), so I think next time  would do my dominant hand first - one of the issues was that it was quite hard to peel off the sticker while I had stickers on my nails.

I really wish I'd left the stickers like this! I think the design is lovely - I really like how colourful it is. I'd never be able to do that design with polish. However, the instructions did say to add topcoat, so I did. I was a but dubious - surely either the topcoat can't penetrate the wrap (in which case, what is the point?) or it can (in which case, doesn't that destroy the wrap?)  I thought that Seche Vite might cause issues, as I know it can melt some things, so I used my new Glisten and Glow HK Girl, which I know lots of bloggers rave about.  I left this to dry for a good long time (at least ten minutes) and my nails were looking fantastic. But then I touched one, and the whole wrap just slid off and crumpled up into a sticky mess. My nail was left really sticky, in a sort of gluey, melted gooey mess. The topcoat had clearly interfered with the wrap, and particularly with the glue on the wrap, so I had to take them all off.  Next time I will avoid the topcoat step!

Looking at the instructions on the OMG Nail Strips website, there is an additional step there which is not on the packaging - before the topcoat, they say "after you have applied all ten polish strips, take a cotton ball the has been dipped in polish removed with the excess remover wrung out, and swipe each nail 1-3 times, paying special attention to the sidewalls, tips and cuticle area. This step is especially important, as it melts the strip to your nails, allowing for longer lasting wear."   This wasn't on the packaging, so maybe this is what went wrong... 

OMG Nail Strips can be bought on their website here, and cost $7.99 USD usually, although there are lots of different special offers and discounts, as well as party packs and so on, so you can get them much cheaper. I will post again once I've tried the other pack (without the topcoat!) - fingers crossed I'll have more success. 

These were provided for my honest review - please see my Disclaimer section for more details.     

10 comments:

  1. That peacock design is really pretty - weird about the top coat however...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely isn't it? Really really odd about the topcoat though. I wish I'd just left them as they were!

      Delete
  2. They both look amazing. The skulls one is kinda funky. :-) I've read others having issues with the use of a top coat too. Sounds annoying!

    I've never tried strips and not sure I fancy them at all I think they'd annoy me LOL! I'll just watch others with them on :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so disappointed they came off! They looked so cool before I did. Oh well.

      I liked these - they were nice, much nicer than the ones I tried by whatever company it is that's stocked in Superdrug. They were way too rigid and thick. These ones are nice. I also really REALLY liked the China Glaze appliques I tried, they were much thinner.

      Delete
  3. Cool design. Shame about the top coat though x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pity isn't it? I love the design. Sadly, I've broken a few nails recently (hence the weirdly shaped middle finger) so they don't look as impressive as they could have done if they were longer, I think.

      Delete
  4. Top Coats can be tricky using our nail strips. We have found that fast drying top coats make our nail strips shrink, but this is a new problem we haven't heard about. Your post has inspired us to add a recommended top coat list on our application instructions. At the moment we have had the best luck with OPI start to finish but we will be testing dozens of other top coats to see which ones are safe to use. Thank you again for your review, your nails looks beautiful =)

    Thank You,
    OMGNailStrips.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's a great idea, thank you!

      I do have a few other topcoats, although not an OPI one. I'll use one of them with the skull wraps next time. In fact, maybe I should try all of them and do a comparison!

      Delete
  5. That peacock design is gorgeous! I used Barry M's 3-in-1 (or multi-use or whatever it is now) basecoat/topcoat on top of mine and it worked fine, so that was weird! :3 Also the guy in my email said that you don't have to do the polish remover part, though I'd love to see how well it works in comparison if you try it! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm thinking that perhaps the quick-dry thing has chemicals which mess up the process. I'll try a more normal topcoat next time!

      I think next time, I'll do a comparison of topcoats and try the nail polish remover step on some nails, just to see what happens. :)

      The peacock is gorgeous isn't it?

      Delete

I absolutely love comments! But please don't spam me with links to your sales website here!.

If you have a blog that you'd like me to check out, then I'm more than happy to do so - just drop me an email. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...