I started with a base of white (Barry M Pearl) and the doodled with some marker pens in orange, pink, red and yellow. I then used surgical spirit (it took me a while to realise that this is what the non-British blogs mean when they talk about 'rubbing alcohol'!) and a small brush to dab and blend the ink to a more marbled sort of finish.
I found this technique a bit easier to manage than Jema's method, as it wasn't as liquid or messy. It is still a bit messy though, and I'm glad I covered all my cuticles with liquid latex first as a barrier.
I really like how this came out - it's such a pretty effect. I enjoy the surgical spirit smell too, which made me feel all nostalgic for my childhood! It wears off when you wash your hands and add topcoat though thankfully, as I don't fancy spending a day smelling of surgical spirit!
I'd love to know what you think of these! I'm currently thinking they'd look good with a fine gold filigree/lace pattern stamped over the top too.